Riverwalk Theatre invites YOU to submit a proposal for directing a play or musical in our 31st season (2019-20)!
Script submissions open August 1 and close on August 31.
How does it work?
There are two committees that receive proposals, one committee selects the Main Stage productions while the other chooses Black Box and Renegade productions. When you submit a script it is assumed you plan to direct the production.
What considerations go into making a selection?
- Marketability: how recognizable is the show? If it’s new or original work, in what ways can we get actors and audiences excited about it?
- Availability: are the performance rights available and affordable, will the staging be feasible in our space?
- Season Balance: does the show help create a well balanced season, does it play a part in providing something for everyone to enjoy throughout the season?
- Community Engagement: does the script offer opportunities to engage our local community, does it tell stories that represent and excite the community?
What should you know about each space?
- Main Stage- full sized productions and require open auditions
- Black Box- use minimal staging and auditions are not required
- Renegade Theatre Festival- Short in length, precast, little to no set pieces and are performed during the three day festival in storefronts or galleries.
The Season Selection committee for the main stage has compiled this list of productions that it feels would make for great productions here at Riverwalk and encourages potential directors to consider using at least one of their allotted three submissions on something from this list:
You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown- Musical
The Drowsy Chaperone- Musical
Once On This Island- Musical
The Miracle Worker- Drama
Five Women Wearing the Same Dress- Comedy
The Front Page- Comedy
Unnecessary Farce- Comedy
These are merely suggestions as all submissions will be considered.
How do you submit a script for consideration?
- Download the correct venue’s form from below or from our Facebook page, or pick one up from the office and fill it out completely for EACH script.
- Directors may submit up to three scripts per venue- please don’t submit the same script to multiple venues
- Include one copy of the script, we prefer electronic scans when possible
- You will be contacted by the committee to arrange an interview about your proposals
Submit proposals by August 31, 2018.
● Email your paperwork and script to RWT@RiverwalkTheatre.com
● Deliver to the box office, 228 Museum Drive during our hours of operation
● Mail to Riverwalk Theatre P.O. Box 12249, Lansing MI 48901
(Forms may be downloaded and completed electronically.)