The Wharton Center Institute for Arts & Creativity is excited to announce that we are expanding our partnership with Disney Theatrical Group and its Disney Musicals in Schools program.
As we enter our fourth year of participation, the Institute will partner with Disney to create sustainable theatre programs at six under-resourced schools in Michigan. Through a carefully designed training and residency process, Disney-trained Michigan teaching artists will visit selected schools and work with educators and students-- teaching what it takes to produce a musical.
The Institute is looking for four experienced theatre teaching artists with skills in directing, choreography, performance and/or music direction to begin training at the Wharton Center in August 2018 and work directly with the schools through early 2019. These in-school residencies will take place in Grand Rapids, Adrian, Flint, Jackson, and/or Greater Lansing.
Teaching Artists qualifications:
· Hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Theatre, Music, Dance, or related field; or have equivalent experience
· Have experience working as a teaching artist or classroom teacher
· Have experience working with diverse populations and ages
· Have experience working on a play or musical with children
· Demonstrate strong classroom management skills
· Have excellent collaboration skills and thrive in a group work setting
· Possess strong time-management skills; be punctual and reliable
· Demonstrate respect for all students, teachers and administrators participating in the program, and offer a superior level of professionalism, customer service and positivity
· Prepare a TA audition and interview with Wharton Center Institute for Arts & Creativity Staff, to be scheduled August 13, 14, or 15
· Be available for a 17-week residency (October 2018-March 2019) of weekly after school, 90 minute rehearsals with a teaching artist partner
· Attend orientation at Wharton Center on August 23 and 24, 2018 (subject to change)
· Attend Student Share event at Wharton Center the evening of March 26, 2019
All positions are paid, and teaching artists are contracted through Wharton Center.
To be considered for a Teaching Artist position for this program, please send a cover letter, resume, and two checkable references to Kelly Stuible-Clark, Manager of Musical Theatre Programs at the Wharton Center Institute for Arts & Creativity – firstname.lastname@example.org - or by mail at 750 East Shaw Lane, East Lansing, Michigan 48824. Please send us your materials ASAP!